Euterpe oleracea, Pará Dwarf "Acai Super Berry”
Habitat and Distribution: Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Suriname, in tidal freshwater swamps and in regularly inundated areas along rivers and streams.
Description: Euterpe oleracea is a naturally clumping palm, which can reach heights close to 100 foot tall with long slender trunks. The beautiful deep green elegantly drooping fronds of the E. oleracea are born from long skinny crown shafts.
Culture: Euterpe palms require a tropical climate with slightly acidic soil.
Comments and Curiosities: The Para Dwarf “Acai Super Berry” variety of Euterpe oleracea is cultivated and developed by South American farmers. The Dwarf variety grows much shorter, only reaching heights approximately 20 feet. This palm begins to seed faster and at a much shorter height making harvest of acai berries much easier for farmers. The Dwarf variety also has a larger seed, producing up to 25% more pulp then the natural oleracea. Since the demise of Euterpe edulis as a source of palm heart, E. oleracea has become the most utilized species. E. oleracea is a more sustainable alternative as it produces many stems/trunks unlike E. edulis. When one of acai's stems is cut, more stems grow back on the same root system and the cutting of stems encourages fruiting on the remaining stems. Acai palm (E. oleracea) is now the world's main source of palm hearts. Since its introduction to the world market in 2000 the açaí fruit has steadily gained attention for its remarkable antioxidant value, even higher, some studies show, than that of other antioxidant powerhouses such as blueberries, red grapes and pomegranates. In Brazil the fruits are an important part of the diet of a large proportion of its inhabitants. The fleshy mesocarp is mixed with water and made into a drink and also ice cream. Because of the açaí fruit’s potentially elite antioxidant capacity, studies are being done to test the berry’s anti-cancer potential. In one of the first studies undertaken at the University of Florida in 2006, researchers discovered that açaí berry extracts caused up to 86% of tested leukemia cells to self-destruct. These findings were published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. Other scientific studies continue to be published on the fruit’s nutritional profile and possible health benefits. One of the main plant chemicals in acai is a compound called anthocyanin. Anthocyanins are a group of flavonoids widely distributed in plants lending a red to purple color to fruits like grapes, blackberries, and raspberries. As a well known antioxidant, anthocyanin-rich foods and fruits have been marketed as cancer preventative and anti-aging products. The anthocyanin in acai however is highly unstable and degrades easily due to heat, humidity, as well the enzyme actions of other chemicals in the fruit. This makes acai fruit highly perishable. It readily changes in color, taste, and anthocyanin content with even short term (12 hours) refrigerated storage. Finally, if all the berry and palm heart qualities of Euterpe oleracea (Pará Dwarf "Acai Super Berry”) palm tree wasn't enough, this beautiful palm is also very often planted as an ornamental tree throughout the Amazon region.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!