Cassia bakeriana, Pink Cassia
Habitat and Distribution: Pink Cassia is native to forested areas of Mandalay, Myanmar and is now grown as an ornamental medium sized tree in tropical and subtropical regions all over the world.
Description: Cassia bakeriana is a fast-growing tree that will reach up to 25 feet with an open spreading crown of velvety, blue-green leaves. From March through May it releases a display of vibrant, fragrant blooms that elegantly arch along 4” to 10” racemes. The flowers are pink and white and give off a sweet subtle scent. After flowering, it will emit long dark brown seed pods. This tree is striking even when not in bloom with the contrast of its feathery oblong leaves against cool light grey bark. It is semi-evergreen and will drop its leaves in winter to commence new growth.
Cultivation & Culture: To enjoy the elegant blooms of the Cassia tree, it should be placed in a full-sun spot with well-draining soil, although it will tolerate light shade. Once established it is semi-drought tolerant and low maintenance, thriving in neutral soil pH but adaptable to slightly acidic or alkaline planting mediums. C. Berkeana is hardy to Zone 9b, and can be grown in a container to overwinter in colder climates, although it will not have the wealth of blooms experienced when growing the tree in the ground.
Comments: Pink Cassia is the provincial tree of Khon Kaen Province in Thailand, and the provincial flower in Ratchaburi Province. A close relative of one of Thailand’s Nine Auspicious trees, the name in Thai translates to “wishing tree”. Beloved by butterflies and bees, it will make your landscaping wishes come true. Imagine the pleasure you’ll derive from stepping out of your door to the sweet subtle scent of flowers, and turning to see a tree bursting with spectacular blooms all through spring. This subtropical ornamental will be the prize of your yard!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!