Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower Tree, Caesalpinia pulcherrima
Common names: Dwarf Poinciana, Peacock Flower, Red Bird of Paradise, Mexican bird of paradise, Pride of Barbados, Flos Pavonis, and Flamboyant-de-jardin. The Hawaiian name for this plant is ʻohai aliʻi
Habitat and Distribution: Native to the tropics and subtropics of the Americas. Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower could be native to the West Indies but its exact origin is unknown due to widespread cultivation.
Description: No room for a big royal poinciana tree? Consider the Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower, with fern-like foliage and topped with beautiful show stopping flowers. Dwarf poinciana is a shrubby, ornamental accent tree with multiple trunks, blooming on and off during warm months. This diminutive flowering tree can be grown as a large shrub, if you prefer, or keep the base cleaned up for a more tree-like look. The butterfly attracting flowers are brilliant red-orange.
Cultivation & Culture: Very easy to grow in alkaline to acidic, well-drained soils. Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower likes full to part sun and is a fast grower to 10 or 12 feet, but can be kept trimmed at 6 to 8 feet. Best in Zone 10, the tree can be grown in warmer areas of Zone 9B with winter protection. Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower dies to the ground following frost or freezing temperatures, but in zone 8B, at least, it comes back reliably, albeit late, in the middle of spring. Don't give up on it! This tree has survived temperatures as low as 18 F. It can be grown as an annual in colder climates.This dwarf tree is moderately salt-tolerant and drought-tolerant once established.
Comments and Curiosities: Not actually related to the enormous royal poinciana, the dwarf's bloom is the national flower of Barbados, where the plant is known as "Pride of Barbados. Young trees have thorns on the branches but they'll disappear as the plant matures and bark begins to form. It’s a beautiful plant and it’s hard to find a more attractive flower! Another LGF favorite.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!