Dwarf Powder Puff, Calliandra haematocephala x surinamensis, Nana
Calliandra contains over a hundred species that are native to tropical and subtropical regions of the Americas and belongs to the genus of flowering plants in the pea family, Fabaceae.
The Dwarf Powder Puff Tree is a compact or dwarf variety Calliandra created with a cross between a C. haematocephala, a 15 foot tall tree, and a C. surinamensis a 5 foot tall shrub.
This is the dwarf version of the very popular Powder Puff tree is a compact cultivar that grows to 5-10 feet tall with similar spread depending on growing conditions and pruning. Red flowers are borne throughout the canopy in the warm months of the year. This selection stays compact and dense and is in many ways superior to other species in the genus "Calliandra" if a small shrub is needed.
Dwarf Powder Puff is very adaptable to a wide range of sunlight, soil, moisture conditions and is hearty to zone 9 or above. It’s also a fantastic container specimen for those who may need to move it for protection from winter weather.
Its range and uses are endless as a compact, well behaved, easy and slow growing species in the genus.
Dwarf Powder Puff makes an outstanding hedge providing a more frequent, longer blooming period while requiring much less pruning than other species in the genus.
As a member of the Fabaceae pea family, green, sustainable, horticulturalists will be happy to know that Dwarf Powder Puff is a fantastic soil “Nitrogen Fixing” tree.
Highly sought after as a bonsai specimen, this easy, carefree Calliandra with stunning everbearing powderpuff blooms is a showstopper!
If shipping warmer options are sold out for this product please add one below...
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container size. For more detailed size information please see the “Size Information” link at the top of our website.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!