Guaiacum sanctum, Holywood Lignum vitae Tree
Holywood Lignum vitae ‘Lignum vitae’ is Latin for ‘Tree of Life,’ It was applied to Guaiacum because of the plant’s medicinal properties. Guaiacum sanctum, commonly known as Holywood Lignum vitae, is native to the coastal areas of southern Florida, the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
This small evergreen tree is slow growing, reaching about 20 ft in height with a trunk diameter of 20 in. The leaves are dark green in color and fold together during the hottest parts of the day. The purplish blue flowers have five petals each, which grow individually or in clusters at the ends of branches. The flowers yield yellow pods containing black seeds encapsulated separately in an ornamental red skin.
Guaiacum sanctum thrives in all types of well-drained acidic or alkaline soils, is shade tolerant, very drought tolerant and easily tolerates maritime exposure. It has no major pests and does very well as a container specimen.
Lignum vitae is some of the heaviest wood in the world sinking under its weight instead of floating in water. It was once popular for use in the manufacture of bowling balls, propeller shafts on steamships, gears and mallets. Lignum vitae is durable and one of the hardest woods in the entire world! It is also known for its beautiful blue flowers, dense deep green foliage and for being an outstanding potted specimen!
If shipping warmer options are sold out for this product please add one below...
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container size. For more detailed size information please see the “Size Information” link at the top of our website.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!