Hyophorbe verschaffeltii / Spindle palm tree
Habitat and Distribution
Endemic to the Mascarene Islands off the coast of Australia
The Spindle Palm Tree has a unique shape trunk, that is swollen in the center forming a spindle shape, hence the name. The trunk is gray, smooth and prominently ringed with the scars of shed fronds. The crown consists of another swollen area in the base of its crownshaft. The crownshaft is bright green, waxy, topped with a crown of 6-11 arching fronds which turn outward and down at the end, forming a ‘V’ shape. Leaves are pinnate, or feather-like, about 9-10ft long, with 100-150 leaflets that are bright green on the top and gray on the bottom.
This slow growing palm is great both indoor and outdoor. It can tolerate cold down to 30F for a short period of time when mature enough (Zones 10a-11) and prefers full sun but can also be grown in light shade. It thrives in well drained soil.
A very ornamental palm that’s critically endangered in the wild and a rare find!!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (11) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!