Julie " True Dwarf " Mango Tree, Professionally Grafted!
History: The 'Julie' mango was made popular in the Caribbean. The origins are uncertain but recent genetic studies show that it possibly descended from cultivars introduced to the Caribbean through Jamaica from Réunion, although its monoembryonic trait suggests it is descended from the Indian line of mangoes. It was introduced to the United States via south Florida by Lawrence Zill, a nurseryman and horticulturist known for producing new mango varieties. Several Florida varieties are descended directly or indirectly from Julie, including 'Sophie Fry', 'Gary' and 'Carrie'.
Description: Julie is famous for its outstanding flavor and dwarf growth habit. The fruits are small, averaging less than a pound in weight at maturity. Skin color is green with some crimson blush. The fruit has a somewhat unusual ovate shape with a distinctive flattened side. The flesh is juicy and not fibrous, with a deep orange color and a very rich flavor.
Cultivation: Julie mango trees are the only true “Dwarf” mango trees in existence. They are very slow growing and maintain a height of aproximatly 10 ft in Florida without pruning. In the Caribbean however, there are very old Julie mango trees that are over 30 ft tall. This variety is a perfect choice for a small yard or for those wishing to grow in containers because it is a very compact, dwarf tree. Despite its small stature, the Julie tree is quite prolific and will produce fruit at quite a young age. Julie is the most popular variety in Jamaica and many other Caribbean Islands because of its rich, sweet, coconut-like flavor. To fully enjoy this unique tasting mango, it is best to eat it the same or next day after it falls from the tree before it gets too ripe. This mango tree is the ultimate container mango being virtually the only true dwarf mango tree in existence.
Grafting: Grown from seed most mango trees will not yield predictable fruit or tree qualities. Grafting affords the likelihood of fruit production in the first few years versus waiting up to 10 years or more for a seedling to produce. Grafting also guarantees your tree will grow and produce fruit true to its desired cultivar retaining all desirable characteristics.
Comments: Julie is a true "Dwarf" mid season mango ripening in July. Fruit size is 1/2 - 3/4 lbs. Mango trees are incredibly low maintenance. The phrase “Less is More" definitely applies to this amazing fruit tree !
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!