Habitat and Distribution: Latania lontaroides is endemic to the French island Réunion, east of Madagascar in the southern part of the Indian Ocean, where it grows on cliffs and coastal ravines.
Description: While young, the Red Latan Palm will have silvery gray-green leaves with stunning red leafstalks, petioles and veins. Once they mature this coloration becomes less evident and they eventually become green. This solitary palm has leaves emerging from 3 foot petioles that form a fan up to 8 feet wide with a 15 foot crown. Red Latan Palms can grow up to 30 feet tall with a deep-gray ringed trunk up to 10" in diameter, slightly swollen at the base. A dioecious species, male and female flowers are found on separate plants.
Cultivation & Culture: Red Latan Palm does best in Zone 10B or coastal Zone 10A, tolerating at the lowest 28 degrees Fahrenheit for a short period of time, although it will experience defoliation. Soil amendments are not necessary as long as it is in a spot with good drainage and full to part sun. Drought-tolerant, salt-tolerant and slow-growing, they are an easy palm for a sunny yard or beach-side property.
Comments: In the wild Latania lontaroides is considered an endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. Sun and heat loving, this expressive palm is perfect for adding color and texture to a tropical landscape. Get the plant when young to appreciate its unique red leafstalks and enjoy its aesthetic transformation as it matures over time. Red Latan Palms make excellent pot plants when young. They are easy and satisfying to grow, not fussy and will flourish in a wide range of frost-free, warmer climates.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!