Majidea zanguebarica, ‘Black Pearl Tree’
Habitat and Distribution: ‘Black Pearl’ or ‘Pearl of Zanzibar’ is a semi deciduous tree native to tropical East Africa.
Description: This ornamental tree can grow anywhere from 6 feet to 80 feet tall, remaining at an average of 16 feet in its native habitat, with a round canopy of deep green, shiny leaves contrasted against an attractive yellowish to grayish-brown trunk. In late summer it emits dense clusters of fragrant flowers that are attractive to pollinators. In fall the fruit follows and when it dries, it splits open to reveal a red interior that houses three velvety bluish-black seeds, or “pearls.”
Cultivation & Culture: Majidea zanguebarica is hardy Zone 9 to 11, but is commonly used as a container plant or for bonsai elsewhere. It thrives in full sun with well-drained, rich soil more on the acidic side. A slow-growing tree, once established it is fairly drought-tolerant.
Comments: M. zanguebarica is an incredibly versatile tree in terms of practical uses. Aside from the good-quality wood, the velvety seeds are commonly used in jewelry for bracelets and necklaces. The dried fruit pods add an enduring pop of color to potpourri mixes and flower arrangements. It even has medicinal properties, with antibacterial capabilities used to treat fever and wounds. Best of all, this tropical tree is well-known for growing well in containers or as bonsai, so growers from all zones can enjoy its unique beauty!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!