Phoenix canariensis, ‘Canary Island Date Palm’
Habitat and Distribution: P. canariensis is endemic of the Canary Islands
Description: One of the largest commonly grown ornamental palms in the world. A close relative to the true date palm this species is much more widely grown due to its ability to live in a broad range of climates and soils. The fronds are pinnate, growing up to 13 feet in length on mature trees. The overall appearance of the fronds is like a long feather. A mature specimen can hold a hundred or more fronds at one time, forming a dense, nearly rounded crown up to 32 feet across.
Cultivation & Culture: The P. canariensis is at home in sands and even clay based soils, tolerating moderately acidic to alkaline pH. Once established, trees can withstand both drought and flooding as long as these conditions do not persist. Ideally it is grown in full sun in a deep, well drained loam with long hot summers and frost free winters. (zones 9/10) If grown optimally seedlings can form ;innate leaves within a year or two. About a foot of annual trunk growth is possible for large, established specimens.
Comments: Stunning as a mature tree and incredibly adaptive, this palm is for all kinds of growers! The Canary Island date palm can be grown in a wide range of habitats and soils and is remarkably cold hardy. Large trees can take cold temperatures as low at 20 degree fahrenheit!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!