Pinanga disticha, ‘Bat Wing’
Habitat and Distribution: Native to peninsular Thailand and Malaysia and also found in Singapore and Sumatra, this understory dwarf species enjoys tropical and subtropical climates.
Description: With P. disticha you get the best of both worlds - the exotic, tropical shape of a palm with the coloration and contrast of a flowering tree. The light- and dark-green mottling set against a lime green background accents the widely segmented bifid leaves and provides spectacular contrast against the thin, dark brown stems. These are tightly clustering dwarf palms, reaching at most 7 feet in height. Mature seeds are red.
Cultivation & Culture: Bat Wing is easy to care for, compared to other mottled full-shade palms. It craves the cool moisture of the shade, but not too cool as it is hardy to Zone 10b. Their natural habitat is in deep shade along forest streams, so give it a safe and shady spot that can retain moisture and give it access to a light refreshing breeze. Once established it will grow moderately fast and spread on its own.
Comments: This small palm will bring welcome diversity to the shady edges of your garden or landscape, exhibiting a unique color pattern you’ll want to show off! We are always taken aback by the drama and contrast of a variegated plant, but can get frustrated with their frailty. The inability of segments of their leaves to produce chlorophyll typically restricts their cultivation. With Pinanga, you can enjoy this unique quality without the anxiety. P. disticha developed its mottling through evolution as a defense mechanism against grazing animals and competing plants in the hectic life of an under story forest shrub. It’s not a weakness, but a strength!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!