Polyalthia longifolia var. pendula, 'False Ashoka' Tree, 'Indian Mast' Tree
Habitat and Distribution: P. longifolia var. pendula is native to southern India and Sri Lanka, but has been widely introduced elsewhere in tropical Asia and Africa.
Description: False Ashoka is a lofty ornamental evergreen, growing 30-40 feet tall with long narrow lanceolate leaves with undulate margins that droop whimsically down its long slender body. The long, straight trunk gave it the name Mast Tree as it was used for the masts of ships! During spring it displays small, star-shaped, pale-green flowers whose scent attracts bees and butterflies. The bark is grey and smooth, fruit is purple or black when ripe.
Cultivation & Culture: False Ashoka is hardy to Zone 10a and thrives in full sun, although it will tolerate partial shade. It is happiest in well draining, slightly acidic to neutral soil and when established is quite drought-tolerant. It is a moderate grower and does not drop leaves excessively.
Comments: False Ashoka or the “Buddha Tree” has a long history of usefulness and versatility. It’s flowers are beloved by pollinators and are traditionally used in festivals. The trunk has been used in the construction of ships, matches and pencil boxes. The seeds and bark have been confirmed to possess antioxidant, anti-lipooxygenase and antimicrobial traits. A uniquely beautiful tree with fragrant flowers and endless capabilities, what more could you want in your yard?
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!