Thrinax radiata, Florida Thatch Palm Tree
Thrinax radiata is native to the Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Florida, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Southeast Mexico and Nicaragua.
The Florida thatch palm is a slender, solitary, very slow-growing, palmate fan palm. Growth averages no more than 6 inches a year. It has a slender trunk typically to 10-20 feet in height topped with a cluster of 12-20 deep green fan-shaped leaves. Its canopy is dense and rounded in full sun and open and airy under shade. In the wild, this species almost always grows close to coastal areas where it is adapted to tolerating heavy winds, high concentrations of salt, and even drought.
Florida Thatch enjoys full sun to partial shade and sandy, well-drained soil. This palm exhibits good cold tolerance, surviving temperatures as low as 26°F. and is quite resilient to tropical storm winds. It is very salt and drought tolerant, making it ideal for oceanside gardens, xeric landscapes and dry foundation plantings.
Today, it is being widely planted outside of its natural historic range in South Florida and the Caribbean because of its ability to grow under various conditions. It’s used by gardeners and can be grown in containers or in arboretums, which showcase this species’ prolific inflorescences and fruit which can appear at only 6 feet tall.
If shipping warmer options are sold out for this product add one below...
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!