Achacha, Bolivian Mangosteen, Garcinia humilis, Achachairú
Habitat and Distribution: Garcinia humilis, known commonly as “Achacha”, is a prolific, small, pyramid shaped, evergreen fruit tree related to the mangosteen. Often referred to as the Bolivian mangosteen it grows in the southern part of the Amazon basin in the central area of Bolivia.
Description: The Achacha is a small to medium sized attractive evergreen tree. Maximum height in cultivation is approximately 20’.
Fruit: The fruit has a sweet slightly tart flavor with hints of mango and berries. It takes on a reddish-orange shade when mature and should be picked mature as it does not ripen further with storage. The fruit will keep for 4 to 6 weeks at room temperature once harvested. The bright white flesh is easily removed from a thick rind and can be instantly enjoyed. The glossy orange rinds can be used as a sour spice or pureed, strained and sweetened for a refreshing and nutritious high beta carotene drink. Achacha trees bloom in December. The fruit matures in January and February.
Cultivation: Achacha prefers some shade when young gradually increasing to full sun with age. It thrives with moderate amounts of water and a slightly acidic, well draining soil. Hardy to zone 10.
Comments: Achacha fruit has gained international attention and won awards in the past decade since being cultivated in other tropical environments throughout Brazil and Australia. It is now sold commercially in parts of Europe.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we'll gladly refund the purchase price or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!