Areca macrocalyx ‘red’
Habitat and Distribution: The Areca macrocalyx is found in and around New Guinea including the Maluku and Solomon Island rainforests in the Melanesia region.
Description: Often referred to as a ‘dwarf’ the Areca macrocalyx palm often grows up to 12 feet but has been known to also reach heights of 20 or higher in cultivation. It is a fast-growing, solitary palm with a spectacular red crown shaft that extends from the bamboo-like ringed trunk. It has a large crown of glossy, deep-green, broad pinnate leaves. The mature seeds are red.
Cultivation & Culture: This palm is hardy to Zone 11 where tropical humidity can help it to thrive in full sun. In Zone 10 it will persist if given partial or filtered sunlight, is protected from drying winds and placed in a spot that will provide a lot of moisture. It will suffer in temperatures under 32°F. A. macrocalyx will tolerate a variety of soils but prefers a rich, well-drained planting medium.
Comments: To the home-grown medicine enthusiasts - on top of being a gorgeous palm, the seeds of A. macrocalyx are often substituted for Betel Nut. Used as a masticatory, betel seeds contain tannins and alkaloids - these stimulate saliva flow, accelerate heart and perspiration rates, suppress hunger and offer positive protection against intestinal worms. The red crown shaft variety of Areca macrocalyx is a rare find for palm enthusiasts, providing a dramatic show of color that will knock your socks off. If you aren’t a palm collector, this blushing red tree will surely make you fall in love.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!