Asterogyne martiana, ‘Pata de Gallo Palm’
Habitat and Distribution: A. martiana is found all over Central America and in parts of northern South America, from Belize all the way down to Colombia in lowland rainforests.
Description: Pata de Gallo (which means houndstooth or crows foot in spanish) can grow up to 6 feet. It had deep green, pinnate leaves and when mature will have up to 15 leaves in its crown. It is a solitary palm, and ripe fruit is black. The most sought-after feature of this rare tropical palm is the bright pink or red coloring of the emergent leaf.
Cultivation & Culture: This palm thrives in partial shade with acidic soil, most importantly well-draining. It will not do well if let to sit in water, so be sure to find a spot that does not experience flooding and is protected from the wind. A, martiana is hardy to Zone 11, although some less tropical gardeners have experimented with it as a container palm.
Comments: The broad leaf shape and deep green color, accented by the pink emerging leaf make this palm a unique and beautiful addition to any landscape.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!