Arundina graminifolia, Bamboo orchid
Named for their tall stems that look like bamboo, the flowers resemble the blooms of Cattleya orchids. This stunning, easy to grow bamboo orchid flowers intermittently throughout the year with heaviest blooming in spring and summer. The flowers are fragrant, attracting butterflies and bees.
Bamboo orchids grow best in areas with lowest temperatures averaging 60 F, although they can tolerate light freezes. Flowers are carried on long spikes from the top of fleshy stems that can grow up to 6 feet. Thrives in humid conditions (misting helps in areas with low humidity).
Bamboo orchids are terrestrial orchids, also called ground orchids. Terrestrial orchids grow best in light, rich, dense organic well-draining soil. If you grow a bamboo orchid in a pot, use a potting mix of equal parts of fine fir bark, sphagnum moss and sand. Before planting a bamboo orchid outside, work partially decomposed pine bark, well-rotted compost and peat into the soil until the organic matter makes up 60 to 70 percent of the planting mix. It needs to be in a well-draining soil in an area free from flooding. For best results apply an organic or slow-release fertilizer every six to eight months.
This cultivar will grow and flower best in full sun or very light shade. If possible, choose a bright east-facing window or outdoor plot to maximize exposure to morning sun and minimize intense afternoon sun that may cause it heat stress.
It should not be crowded and needs protection from the wind Do not let the soil dry out. Whether in pots or outside in the garden.
So pretty it claimed the top spot in our garden and can be seen directly outside our kitchen window.
❄️ Winter Shipping = Add a Heat Pack ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- Buyer assumes all risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- To avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and/or lack of humidity, etc...use text / email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- For all items "quantity available" greater than ( 1 ) item shipped may not be actual item in the photo.
- Titles refer to growing container size appropriate for plant being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seed from a proven viable source. Typical germination rates provided on request. Germination not guaranteed due to use of various individual germination techniques.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyer must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless method such as cutting or grafting is stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help !
Daniela & Dave
Let's Grow Florida !