Barbados Cherry, Malpighia emarginata
Habitat and Distribution: Malpighia emarginata is originally from Yucatán, and can be found in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, South America as far south as Peru, and the southeast region of Brazil, and in the southernmost parts of the contiguous United States (southern Florida and the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas). In Florida, it can be grown in protected locations as far north as Cape Canaveral. It is cultivated in the tropics and subtropics throughout the world, including the Canary Islands, Ghana, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Zanzibar, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, India, Java, Hawaii, and Australia.
Description: Acerola is an evergreen shrub or small tree with spreading branches on a short trunk. It is usually 7 - 10 ft tall, but sometimes reaches 20 ft in height.
Cultivation & Culture: Mature trees can survive brief exposure to 28º F. Young plants are killed by any drop below 30º F. It prefers dry, sandy soil and full sun. The tree does well on limestone, marl and clay, as long as they are well drained. USDA Zones — 9 – 11
Fruit: After approximately three years, un-grafted trees produce significant numbers of bright red cherry fruits. Fruits are in pairs or groups of three, and each contains three triangular seeds.
They are juicy and very high in vitamin C and other nutrients. About 1677 mg of vitamin C are in 100 g of fruit. They are divided into three obscure lobes and are usually acidic to subacidic, giving them a sour taste, but may be sweet if grown well. Barbados cherries also have antifungal and antibacterial properties. A comparative analysis of antioxidant potency among a variety of frozen juice pulps was carried out and among the 11 fruit pulps tested, Barbados Cherry was the highest-scoring fruit, meaning it had the most antioxidant potency, with a Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity score of 53.2 mg.
Varieties: In 1956, workers at the University of Florida's Agricultural Research and Education Center in Homestead, after making preliminary evaluations and selections, chose as superior and named the 'Florida Sweet', a clone that was observed to have an upright habit of growth, large fruits, thick skin, apple-like, semi-sweet flavor, and high yield.
Other uses: Acerola is a popular bonsai subject because of its small leaf and fruit, and fine ramification. It is also grown as an ornamental and for hedges. It is one of three ingredients in a proprietary herbal medicine for allergic rhinitis.
Comments: Easy, handsome plant with deep green foliage, beautiful pink flowers and bright red fruit.
The most serious disease of Barbados cherry is root-knot nematode.
The Barbados cherry tree will grow and fruit fairly well with little care.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!