Bat Flower Plant, Black, Tacca chantrieri
Habitat and Distribution: Native to understory tropical jungles of Southeast Asia including Thailand, Malaysia, and southern China.
Description: Tacca chantrieri is an unusual plant with black flowers that are somewhat batwing-shaped. The widely flared bracts mimic the look of a bat's wings in flight, while the rounded lobed blooms beneath appear to be the body. The bracts are up to 12 inches across and flowers have long cat-like 'whiskers' that can grow up to 28 inches long. The plant itself grows to 24"-36" tall with long stems and broad shiny leaves.
Cultivation: Bat flowers are understory plants preferring at least 40-60% shade. They're perfectly happy and fast growers indoors with enough humidity. Well-draining slightly acidic peat / pine bark based potting mix with very good drainage is a must when growing this plant. Soil should remain somewhat moist on a continual basis but never allowed to get soggy - during dormancy in autumn and winter the plant should be allowed to dry out slightly. Humidity should be supplemented with pebble trays, daily misting and/or a humidifier. Tacca's grow best with good air circulation and bright indirect light. They enjoy warm temperatures and are challenged by anything below 40 F. First flower will appear on a plant after the full development of at least 3 to 4 leaves and may bloom up to 8 times in one season. Except during the dormant winter months, Tacca's should be fed every two weeks for maximum health. They’re largely pest and disease free - although snails and slugs can be bothersome.
Comments: The spectacular, bizarre and haunting Tacca is not the easiest plant to grow but the breathtaking reward of a flowering plant is well worth the effort!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!