Bat Flower Plant, Black Tacca chantrieri
The “Bat Flower” plant, Tacca chantrieri is native to the understory tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia including Thailand, Malaysia, and southern China.
Bat flowers are unusual with somewhat batwing-shaped lobes. The widely flared bracts mimic the look of a bat's wings in flight and the rounded lobed blooms beneath appear to be the body. The large flowers have long cat-like 'whiskers' that can grow up to 28 inches long. The plant itself grows to 24"-36" tall with long stems and broad shiny leaves.
Tacca’s are understory plants preferring at least 40-60% shade. They're perfectly happy and fast growers indoors with enough humidity. Well-draining slightly acidic peat / perlite / pine bark based potting mix with very good drainage is a must when growing this plant. Soil should remain somewhat moist on a continual basis but never allowed to get soggy. During dormancy in autumn and winter the plant should be allowed to dry out slightly. Humidity should be supplemented with pebble trays, daily misting and/or a humidifier. Tacca's grow best with good air circulation and bright indirect light. They enjoy warm temperatures and are challenged by anything below 40 F. First flowers will appear after development of at least 3 to 4 leaves and may bloom up to 8 times in one season. Except during the dormant winter months, Tacca's should be fed every two weeks for maximum health. They’re largely pest and disease free - although snails and slugs can be bothersome.
Not the easiest plant to grow but the breathtaking reward of a flowering Tacca Bat Flower plant is well worth the effort!
If shipping warmer options are sold out for this product add one below...
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!