Burretiokentia hapala, ‘Dreadlock Palm’
Habitat and Distribution: B. hapala is endemic to New Caledonia
Description: This beautiful, solitary, prominently ringed, dark green palm can grow to heights of 25’ with a crown of about 5-10 leaves. Its inflorescence is what sets it apart, with people often referring to it as the Rasta palm. From a distance the brownish, inflorescence ‘fingers’, look wooly and there are often multiples that appear at once encircling the entire base of the crownshaft.
Cultivation & Culture: Although fairly slow growing, it is one of the fastest of all the New Caledonia palms. If given some shade and wind protection, as well as water and rich draining soil, this palm is pretty easy to grow.
Comments: An unusually striking, slender (6” in diameter) palm that keeps it beautiful glossy green trunk color, with contrasting large tan leaf scars, throughout its life. A landscaping standout and great addition to any palm collection.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!