Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, ‘Flame’ Palm Tree
Habitat and Distribution: Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus are native to the undergrowth of the rainforests in Papua New Guinea, found along the mountain slopes or along streams.
Description: C. polyphyllus is a loose-clustering palm with pinnate, elliptical leaves in deep green. The tips of the leaves are finely drawn out resembling the licks of a flame, and new growth emerges bright red, accounting for its other name of ‘Flame Palm’. It can grow up to 10 feet, tall for an understory plant but still a medium-sized palm. The inflorescence stays towards the center of the cluster and resembles a spike.
Cultivation & Culture: Typically of an understory rainforest palm, Flame palm requires full shade, tolerating filtered sunlight once mature. It should be given a protected space away from drying winds, and soil must be well-draining but remain moist. This is not a cold-tolerant palm as it is hardy to Zone 11, but it has provided some success as a potted plant! You can have this in your home as a houseplant, although it will obviously not cluster if it is pot bound.
Comments: This has got to be one of the coolest looking palms we have! The wispy leaf-ends are a joy in themselves, bringing to mind cat whiskers. Then as if new growth isn’t exciting enough on its own, this palm goes the extra mile and displays an explosive show of red, orange or maroon like the burst of a flame! If you can provide this plant with the shade and humidity that it requires, you owe it to yourself to add this special palm to your collection.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!