Dwarf Poinciana / Red Peacock Flower Tree, Bush, Seedling, and Seed, Caesalpinia pulcherrima Tropical Plant
The Dwarf Poinciana or Peacock Flower tree / bush goes by many common names, Red / Pink / Yellow Bird of Paradise, Mexican bird of paradise, Pride of Barbados, Flos Pavonis, and Flamboyant-de-jardin and ʻohai aliʻi in Hawaii. It’s native to the tropics and subtropics of the Americas but its exact origin is unknown due to widespread cultivation.
No room for a big royal poinciana tree? Consider the Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower. It has fern-like foliage topped with beautiful show stopping flowers. The Dwarf Poinciana is a shrubby, ornamental accent tree with multiple trunks, blooming on and off during warm months. This diminutive flowering tree can be grown as a large shrub if you prefer, or keep the base cleaned up for a more tree-like look. The butterfly attracting flowers of the Dwarf Poinciana come in three brilliant and sensational color combinations, red and orange, pink and white and ultra rare yellow.
The showy low maintenance Dwarf Poinciana is very easy to grow in alkaline or acidic soils. It likes full to part sun and is a fast grower to 10 or 12 feet, but can be kept trimmed at 6 to 8 feet. Best in Zone 10, the tree can be grown in warmer areas of Zone 9B with winter protection. Dwarf Poinciana / Peacock Flower dies to the ground following frost or freezing temperatures, but in zone 8B, it comes back reliably, albeit late, in the middle of spring. Don't give up on it! This tree has survived temperatures as low as 18 F. It can be grown as an annual in colder climates. Dwarf Poinciana is moderately salt-tolerant and very drought-tolerant once established.
Not actually related to the enormous royal poinciana, this beautiful bloomer is the national flower of Barbados, where the plant is known as "Pride of Barbados. Young trees have thorns on the branches but they'll disappear as the plant matures and bark begins to form. A beautiful plant with a large breathtaking flower! Another LGF favorite!
If shipping warmer options are sold out for this product please add one below...
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container size. For more detailed size information please see the “Size Information” link at the top of our website.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!