Dypsis baronii, Sugar Cane Palm
Habitat and Distribution: D. baronii is native to northern and central Madagascar in moist montane forests and bamboo-dominated forests.
Description: Dypsis baronii is a medium-sized most often clustering palm, growing up to 12 feet in height. It has a prominently-ringed trunk with pale green, bright yellow-green, or orange coloration, or blue-green to grey with age. It has a pale yellow or green crown shaft covered in white powdery patina. The leaf crowns are dainty with arching petioles lined with pinnate, deeply ‘V’d light green leaves. The mature fruit is light green or yellow. Sometimes at the base of the trunk it may display a show of color in red or orange when young.
Cultivation & Culture: This palm is coveted for its cold tolerance as far as Madagascar palms go, unphased by frost up to Zone 9b. It will thrive in a shady spot with rich, moist, acidic soil although it can tolerate basic to slightly alkaline. For a flawless leaf crown, protect it from drying winds. It is a moderately fast grower and can do well in containers.
Comments: Have an appetite for palms? Practically every aspect of this palm is edible. The fruit is sweet and rumored to have medicinal qualities in the treatment of headaches, jaundice and hepatitis - and also as an aid to lactation! The leaves can be cooked and consumed, and the palm heart is an excellent vegetable. Careful though, harvesting the palm heart will kill the stem! D. baronii is a great option for people in climates typically too cold for Madagascar palms. An elegant, easy plant - any palm lover should have this on their landscape!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!