Habitat and Distribution: D. basilonga is endemic to the southeast Vatovavy region of Madagascar.
Description: A medium-sized solitary palm, Dypsis basilonga will grow up to 10 feet. From the white-patina-coated crown shaft emerges 6-8 plumose leaves in dark forest green. It distinguishes itself from other dypsis most notably through the uniquely wide, leathery leaflets, with the first few near the petiole being extra large and drooping at their base near the rachis, growing to almost 3 times the length of the other leaves. The trunk is evenly ringed with a small flare at the bottom.
Cultivation & Culture: This slow-growing palm is a low-canopy dweller, so it will be happiest in partial or filtered sunlight. It is hardy to Zone 10a so can be enjoyed by subtropical and tropical gardeners alike. D. basilonga is adaptable to a variety of soils as long as they are well-draining.
Comments: You can take part in cultivating this critically endangered palm so that future generations can enjoy its unique, elegant look. Habitat destruction and local harvesting for the palm heart and seeds (known to have medicinal properties related to headaches) has endangered D. basilonga to the point of being a very rare palm. A must-have for conservations and enthusiasts alike!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!