Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Trinac, Jumagua Palm Tree Tropical Rare
Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Trinac, Jumagua Palm hails from the open forests of Cuba. An endemic palm of Mogotes de Jumagua in northern Cuba, this absolutely unique little treasure, survives only on three of the small mogotes where less than 100 specimens cling to the steep Limestone cliffs.
H. ekmaniana is a medium sized solitary, palmate fan palm, with very tightly grouped leaves, the crown grows into a spiny giant ball. A seed collection picked in 1996 by specialists of Palmetum of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, resulted in various plants now growing in a handful of Botanical Gardens; specimens can be found growing at the Montgomery Botanical Center in Miami, Palmetum de Santa Cruz in the Canary Islands, Orto botanico di Messina in Italy, Jardín Botánico de Las Tunas, in Cuba, and most recently in Nancy Botanic Gardens (France), where its is reported that 2 plants are growing well.
The Jumagua Palm grows a slender trunk to 2” in diameter which holds a perfectly spherical and very dense crown of stiff, spiky leaves that have almost no stalks, and therefore sit very close together. While it grows rather slowly, requiring about 6 years until it starts forming a trunk, it is definitely well worth the wait for this outstanding miniature palm. It will do well in a tropical and a number of warm temperate climates given a position in full sun. It can also take considerable coastal exposure.
Until 2007 no commercial distribution of this plant was ever made, as in 2007 for the first time, seeds collected in the wild entered in the commercial seed trade, and reached many growers in various areas of the world.
Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Jumagua Palm: Probably one of the rarest palms on the planet.
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container size. For more detailed size information please see the “Size Information” link at the top of our website.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant(s) directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥Shipping Warmer! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order, we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade; therefore, your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within (1) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!