Blue Java / Ice Cream Banana, Musa acuminata x balbisiana
Habitat and Distribution: Blue Java bananas are from the Indo-Malaysian region of southern Asia.
Description: The Blue Java, also known as Blue bananas, Ice Cream banana, Hawaiian banana, is a hardy, cold tolerant cultivar known for its sweet aromatic fruit. Blue Java bananas grow to approximately 10- 15 ft. tall. They are cold-tolerant to zone 8, and wind-resistant because of their strong pseudostems and root systems. The leaves are silvery green in color and their fruit's blueish-green skin also sets it apart from other cultivars making them very ornamental.
Fruit: The 'Blue Java' cultivar is a part of the ABB Group of bananas. Iit contains one set of chromosomes from Musa acuminata and two by Musa balbisiana. As a hybrid of a sweet banana and cooking bananas, this variety is delicious raw or cooked. The fruit bunches are small, bearing seven to nine hands. The fruit are 7-9" in length and show a characteristic silvery blue color when unripe. The fruit turns a pale yellow when ripe, with white creamy flesh that melts in the mouth. They are known for their fragrant flavour which has a vanilla-like custard texture and taste. Blues bloom around 15 to 24 months after planting and can be harvested after 115 to 150 days.
Cultivation: Like all bananas, planting your Ice Cream in full sun with rich, moist but well drained soil will yield the best results.
Comments: Blue Java’s are regarded as one of the best tasting bananas in the world and they can be eaten fresh or cooked. The fruit goes well with ice cream. They are also popular as an ornamental shade plant for their unusual blue and silvery coloration, large size, tolerance to wind, and suitability to temperate climates in zone 8 or higher. Blue Java / Ice Cream bananas do very well in large containers for those in climates colder than zone 8.
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!