Dictyosperma album var. Furfuraceum
Common Names: Round Island Hurricane Palm
Habitat and Distribution: Endemic to the tiny island Île Ronde or “Round Island” in the Indian Ocean north of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Mascarene archipelago.
Description: The slowest growing and smallest, though most breathtaking, of the three Dictyosperma species. Arching leaves form a dense, full crown of up to 16 - 18 leaves. The tips of the leaflets are joined together by reins running along the edge of the leaf making this variety immediately recognizable. Stout trunk with a large bulging pale almost white crownshaft.
Culture: A very easy low maintenance palm. Grows steadily at a medium pace in a sunny position with adequate water and nutrition. Will be right at home in tropical, subtropical, and some warm temperate areas. All three varieties of Dictyosperma palms can take considerable coastal exposure i.e. salt and wind, and are referred to as“Hurricane palms” Very drought and wind tolerant.
Comments and Curiosities: A rare palm growing in few landscapes and not widely available. This palm has few rivals in its ability to majestically occupy wide open spaces in coastal areas. Makes a fantastic potted specimen for the patio or indoors with a suitable environment! One of our most coveted favorites at “Let’s Grow Florida”
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold. Plant size may vary accordingly.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme temperature or weather conditions are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a heat pack to your order we cannot be held responsible for damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All "Fresh & Clean" seeds are from a proven viable source. Germination is not guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Return policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition due to negligence on our part, we will gladly refund the purchase price or send a replacement. To be eligible, buyers must please send a notification within ( 1 ) day of arrival describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the un-altered order in its original packing material.
- Plant / tree propagation is from seed unless cutting or grafting methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!