Pinanga sp. Thai Mottled
Habitat and Distribution: P. Thai Mottled is a low-growing understory palm from Thailand.
Description: With Pinanga sp. Thai Mottled you get the best of both worlds - the exotic, tropical shape of a palm with the coloration and contrast of a flowering tree. The light- and dark-green mottling set against a lime green background accents the widely segmented bifid leaves. New growth will often emerge in shades of red, pink or purple. Mottling will last well into juvenile stages of the plant if it is kept in a moist, well shaded spot. A unique feature of this species of pinanga is their bamboo-like trunks, lending another layer of diverse texture to your shaded garden.
Cultivation & Culture: P. Thai Mottled is a slow-growing dwarf palm that craves the cool moisture of the shade, but not too cool as it is hardy to Zone 10b. Their natural habitat is in deep shade along forest streams, so give it a safe and shady spot that can retain moisture and give it access to a light refreshing breeze. For long-lasting, vibrant mottling be sure to keep it well shaded and watered. It will tolerate a few hours of dappled sunlight, but the contrast in the leaves will not be as dramatic.
Comments: Have a love-hate relationship with variegation? We are always taken aback by the drama and contrast of a nicely variegated plant, but can get frustrated with their frailty. The inability of segments of their leaves to produce chlorophyll is a disadvantage to their growth, and typically restricts their cultivation. With pinanga, you can enjoy this unique quality without the anxiety. P. sp. Thai mottled developed its mottling through evolution as a defense mechanism against the grazing animals and competing plants in the hectic life of an understory forest shrub. It’s not a weakness, but a strength! With a bamboo-like trunk and mottling in a variety of colors, you won’t find anything like this in your typical shade garden. Expand your palm expertise with this unique dwarf palm!
❄️ Winter Weather = add a Shipping Warmer ! 🔥
Notes & Policies:
- All plants are safely shipped bare root in sterile medium.
- "Size" refers to growing container sizes appropriate for plants being sold.
- Please use text/email tracking alerts. Try to receive your plant directly from the carrier to avoid damage due to extreme temperatures and or lack of humidity.
- Please do not place an order when extreme weather conditions or temperatures are likely.
- ❄️ Winter shipping ? Protect your plant(s) with a 🔥 Shipping Warmer ! A northerly route and or possible delays during shipping could damage your tropical plant(s). If you did not add a shipping warmer to your order we cannot be held responsible for cold damage to your plants during transit in winter weather.
- All of our plants are grown in various amounts of shade, therefore your plants will require a slow introduction into appropriate amounts of sun.
- In most cases your plants will benefit from providing an environment of enhanced humidity upon arrival until root function has normalized.
- All seeds are from a proven viable source. All seeds are inspected and tested prior to dispatch. Germination rates are not quoted or guaranteed due to the use of various individual germination techniques. Typical germination rates provided on request.
- Buyer assumes risks due to state agricultural regulations and bare root shipping.
- Refund policy: If for any reason your order is incorrect or arrives in poor condition, we'll gladly issue a refund or make your order right. To be eligible, buyers must please send notification within ( 1 ) day of receiving your order describing the issue(s) accompanied by photos of the unaltered order in its original packing material.
- Propagation is from seed unless other methods are stated.
- Questions ? Don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to help!
Daniela & Dave
Let’s Grow Florida!